Thursday, October 12, 2006

IN THE BEGINNING...

About oh... twenty years ago when I was still a rugrat in school, some classmates and I were enthralled with stop-motion animation. Gumby and Pokey, Davey & Goliath, that sort of thing. Ideas were exchanged, stories were scribbled in notebooks, but sadly it went no further. Being all of thirteen, none of us had access to the necessary technology to edit together a short film back then.

Cue the 21st century.

My current project idea burst upon me as a way to find a use for all the "useless monsters" I've been knitting out of end bits of stash yarn. It's logical, right? I mean, if you don't have little kids or pets who eat these things faster than a black hole gorges on a neutron star, or work for a cereal company where you could stuff them into boxes as the "prize inside", what else are you going to do with them?

Past monsters I've made were of my own design. Some of them look like they could work for film; others....not so much. I polled my friends at Knittinghelp.com to find the best monster patterns out there. In came a treasure trove of suggestions! Some were specific to genre (Lovecraftian), others looked like they could be more malleable and used in a variety of stories. So I'm going through the collection - holding auditions, screen tests, and whatnot, trying to find that elusive knitted beastie with enough star quality to play the hero(ine) in this first feature.

Stay tuned for future developments!

No comments: